EKU Buildings and Grounds

Dublin Core

Title

EKU Buildings and Grounds

Description

http://discovereku.omeka.net/geolocation/map/browse

Contributor

Jackie Couture
Daniel Weddington
Samantha Jeffers
Jennifer Oberhausen

Collection Items

Alumni Coliseum
The Alumni Coliseum, built in 1963, featured what was then the largest roof of its kind, having a span of 308 feet and constructed from 626,276 board feet of lumber. The main arena, McBrayer Arena, is named for Paul S. McBrayer, an Anderson County…

Alumni House (Mary Francis Richards Alumni House)
The Mary Frances Richards Alumni House touches the campus at the junction of Lancaster Avenue and Crabbe Streets, where it has served as the Alumni Association's home since 1968. Named for its first director, the house is opened from 8-4:30, Monday…

Arlington Residence
Arlington, Eastern Kentucky University's faculty-alumni center, is a multi-purpose complex designed to serve social, recreational and academic needs of the University Community.

The University's development of the center began in 1967 when…

Ault Service Building
The Ault Service building was merged to become a part of The Whailn Complex, named in honor of Ralph W. Whalin who served Eastern from 1937 to 1974 as Professor and Chair or the Department of Industrial Arts. He was the first Faculty Regent. The…

Beckham Hall
Former residence hall built in 1938, Beckham Hall houses the Office of Co-op Education , the Offices of Residential Development and Education , the Department of Economics, Real Estate Studies, and the Residence Hall Association. Along with Miller…

Begley Building
The Robert B. Begley Building was built in 1970 and is named to honor a former member of the EKU Board of Regents and life-long EKU supporter. The seven-story Begley Building is designed to serve nearly 2,000 students hourly in classes and also…

Blanton House
Blanton House, built in 1886, was named in honor of its first owner and Central University's last chancellor, Lindsey Hughes Blanton (1832-1914). This Italianate style brick house is the only residence still existing from "faculty row" of Central…

Brockton - Multiple Dwellings
Brockton Housing is so named to honor G. M. Brock, who served in various capacities in business affairs at Eastern spanning the terms of four presidents (1918-1969). Brockton single student apartments provide 70 double occupancy efficiency apartments…

Burnam Hall
Burnam Hall is named in honor of Judge Anthony Rollins Burnam (1846-1919), state senator, court of appeals justice, and prominent resident of Richmond, who influenced the decision to locate one of the state's normal schools in Richmond. Dedicated in…

Burrier Building
Named for Mary K. Burrier, former chairman of the Home Economics Department. This building houses the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences and features a "family living center". It was built in 1968.

Cammack Building
Built in 1918, it is named for James W. Cammack, Sr., chair of Eastern's first Board of Regents. The building once housed the library and the laboratory school. Today it serves as a classroom building and houses the Department of Psychology.

Campbell Building
The Campbell Building houses the Department of Art, the EKU Theatre, and the C.H. Gifford Theatre. Plays, concerts, and musical productions are held in the 475 seat theatre, named for a member of Eastern's first graduating class in 1909. Also located…

The Carter building is so named in honor of Ashby B. Carter, a dairy science pioneer, who used his belief in the work ethic to develop himself, his students, and the institution. The 1929 Milestone was dedicated to him and includes the caption "To A.…

Once a woman's residence hall that housed some 572 women, mostly freshman, the hall is named for Mrs. Emma Case, a former dean of women. At this time, Case Hall is an air-conditioned four-story building housing 169 women and men. Centrally located,…

Chapel of Meditation
Dedicated May 13, 1972, the Chapel of Meditation is a nondenominational chapel used primarily for meditation, weddings, and memorial services. Student Alumni Ambassadors induction is held here. The fountain outside the chapel is symbolic of the water…

Clay Hall
Built in 1966 and named in honor of EKU Regent Sidney Clay, Clay Hall is an air-conditioned ten-story building for 404 women and men. Featured are a centrally-located community bath on each floor, laundry room, and kitchen area, several study rooms,…

Coates Administration Building
Named for Eastern's third president, Dr. Thomas Jackson Coates (1867-1928) of Pikeville, Kentucky, the Coates Building has served as the central administration facility since its construction in 1926. In the center of the building is the Hiram Brock…

The Combs Building is named in honor of Bert T. Combs, one of the greatest governors in the history of the Commonwealth. Lecture halls, each built like a small auditorium, are tributes to two of Eastern's veteran teachers. The D. T. Ferrell Room is…

Commonwealth Hall
Commonwealth Hall was built in 1967. It is a 20-story high-rise building for 523 men. Each floor offers a centrally located community bath. The air-conditioned hall is served by three elevators and has two special-purpose floors: a 24-hour quiet…

Named to honor John Grant Crabbe who served from 1910 to 1916 as Eastern's second president. It was built in 1924 at a cost of $67,000. In 1936 the space was nearly doubled in size with the addition of the Grand Reading Room. During the 1965-66…

The Donovan Building is named in honor of Herman Lee Donovan, who served from 1928 to 1941 as Eastern's fifth President. The building, constructed in 1961, houses the Model Laboratory School.
View all 78 items

Social Bookmarking