Browse Items (78 total)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2941/archive/files/fdc48ac885442571aa5dd7d65ffc6ab6.jpg
The Weaver Building was built in 1930 and is named for Charles F. Weaver who served for twelve years on Eastern's Board of Regents and established two of the first financial awards at Eastern. There is an inground swimming pool in the basement of the…

Referred in documentation as Women's Dorm #5.
Walters Hall is currently a high rise that re-opened in 2010 following an extensive renovation. It is near the Burrier Classroom Building and the campus ministries buildings Baptist Campus Ministries,…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2941/archive/files/ceccc21d9c6ac6cd1a5da04d0eea9285.jpg
The Wallace Building is named in honor of Mr. William L. Wallace, a former member of the Eastern Kentucky University Board of Regents, who distinguished himself with a legal career spanning six decades. Two large lecture halls, located on the ground…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2941/archive/files/8434f72861e5e8a6a33d2fb82f00cdfd.jpg
Vickers Village is a complex of apartments and duplex apartments used for faculty housing. The village is named after John L. Vickers, a long time resident of Richmond and Eastern employee.

The James E. van Peursem Music Pavilion is named for a long-time chairman of the music department. Dedicated in 1963, it is the source of lots of "good stories" (many to remain untold). One true story is of Mozart, a black mongrel dog buried behind…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2941/archive/files/531c96187cdc39151ea79ca40e3215fa.jpg
The University Building, also known as Old Central, is the oldest building on campus and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. A stone marker over the main door records the date, "1874" and Central's motto, "Lex, Rex-Crux, Lux" or…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2941/archive/files/e8ba01a86768c836c8176be3f16ae932.jpg
This Queen Anne style house was built in 1893 for Anne Wallace Walters (1830-1903), widow of Singleton P. Walters, one of the principal benefactors of Central University. The house is named after R. E. Turley, Sr. (1863-1933), former member of the…

Referred in documentation as Men's Dorm # 5. The Greek Towers are two neighboring 11-story residence halls, Dupree and Todd, located in the heart of campus near student dining services in the Powell Student Center, the Student Success Building, and…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2941/archive/files/5220e3d1b9a8788c192f4308f825c95f.jpg
Telford Hall, a womens dormitory, is named for Miss Brown E. Telford of Richmond, a retired member of the music faculty, where she dedicated 44 years teaching piano and organ before her retirement in 1962. Telford Hall, constructed in 1969, is an…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2941/archive/files/3ca2e8898fb712da9fa82b3ea3383365.jpg
Sullivan Hall was named for Jere A. Sullivan (1862-1931), a Central University graduate and prominent attorney who supported the establishment of normal schools in Kentucky. He also served on Eastern's board of regents. Dedicated in 1909, with the…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2941/archive/files/fcd032c19b0667d8c14deb96489f260c.jpg
The John D. Rowlett Building is named for Eastern's former Vice President for Academic Affairs and Research. Dr. Rowlett was instrumental in the establishment and growth of nurse-education and allied health programs at Eastern. The building is a…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2941/archive/files/aacfa57d08398d562c6f48df8dd845a1.jpg
The Roark building is named for Eastern's first president, Ruric Neval Roark (1859-1909). His wife, Mary , served as acting president in 1909 when her husband died at the age of 50. She served for nearly a year as the school's president and dean of…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2941/archive/files/5c78af9fc291bb93f7e838dc41337ad6.jpg
Built in 1971 and located in the center of campus, the building in named for former University President J. C. Powell . The Powell building serves as a student union, and recreation facility. There is a cafeteria located upstairs and a grill in the…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2941/archive/files/c35ef4da4980981610dcb508472c608d.jpg
The Perkins Building is named for Congressman Carl D. Perkins from the Seventh Congressional District of Kentucky, an outspoken advocate of student aid programs, including federal scholarships, work study and student loans. The building, constructed…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2941/archive/files/31578839d04c810f472aa70864c75299.jpg
The Smith Park Observatory is named in honor of a Madison County native, first Chair of the Department of Physics and longtime Chair of the Department of Mathematics. He served Eastern from 1923 until his retirement in 1967. The observatory was…

Tags:

Referred in documentation as Men's Dorm # 7. Palmer Hall is currently is a Co-Educational Residence Hall housing Freshmen Students who participate in the ConneXtions Living Learning Community and provides resources and guidance from a large student…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2941/archive/files/0c6bb3644964a672e5b835f172084d4d.jpg
O'Donnell Hall was the first of a series of dormitories built on Eastern's campus from 1959 to 1969. It was referred to in early documentation as Men's Dorm # 1 and was named after President William F. O'Donnell who was in office when it was built.…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2941/archive/files/b3f6e23d4319380ed368c4fe4535a686.jpg
The Moore Building is named for Dr. W.J. Moore who came to Eastern in 1913 as a 19-year-old freshman, and retired in 1965 after 52 years' association with the University - 30 years as a teacher and 20 years as a Dean. The building, constructed in…

Tags:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2941/archive/files/bae19f80cc489f4921e9dbbec82112c8.jpg
The Memorial Science Building on EKU campus.

Tags:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2941/archive/files/ad43847a9a5598b1a2825a3c66c66ee3.jpg
Mattox Hall during construction and when finished on the EKU campus. Referred in documentation as Men's Dorm # 2.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2941/archive/files/278e4c61edce21e6a215a5dc6be97344.jpg
Dedicated in 1962 in honor of E.K.U.'s sixth president, Robert R. Martin, Martin Hall is an air-conditioned two-winged, four-story, residence hall community for 395 men. A common lobby connects the wings, and has a large meal-plan cafeteria. Two…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2941/archive/files/d423755b42521c5915774d4447320059.jpg
McGregor Hall is named for Thomas B. McGregor, a highly regarded judge of the Commonwealth's 14 district, a former regent and a former Kentucky Attorney General. The hall is a six-story, air-conditioned residence hall for 439 women. It has two…

Former residence hall built in 1938 as a WPA project, McCreary Hall houses the Department of Government and the Division of Natural Areas. Along with Beckham and Miller Halls, the three form a U-shaped complex. McCreary Hall was named in honor of…

The Little Library Addition on the Eastern Kentucky University campus.

Tags:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2941/archive/files/4a341ddbcfde63aeb3a214dcda149cb3.jpg
This Colonial Revival style building, built in 1939 as a WPA project, was originally the student union at Eastern Kentucky State Teachers College. It is named in honor of Keen Johnson (1896-1970), former governor of Kentucky and regent of Eastern. It…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2941/archive/files/2830d264ad7ffa3c69a4c53b3b89aa7b.jpg
Keene Hall, an air-conditioned mens dormitory, is named to honor William L. Keene, former professor of English, who ended 39 years of service on the Eastern faculty in 1965. The 16-story brick dorm was built in 1969 and contains 308 rooms which will…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2941/archive/files/ae58aade96b92d01ef565af2d3873287.jpg
The previously available rifle range on Eastern Kentucky University campus. It was demolished in 2000.

Tags:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2941/archive/files/b0dc13a66ac1f774502c20f033f66b85.jpg
Built in 1976, the Hummel Planetarium is named in honor of Dr. Arnim D. Hummel, a leader in the establishment of programs in the sciences at Eastern Kentucky University from 1929 to 1947. He served as head of the Department of Physics and as chair of…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2941/archive/files/74a8730bcdcab6cb74775426cefe5b8d.jpg
Different views and images of Hiram Brock Auditorium over time.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2941/archive/files/967b07010fc3495dcf01674670bb2090.jpg
Hanger Stadium was built in 1936 and for the next thirty years served as the football field and stadium. The stadium also served as an ROTC training field, the home of High School Band Day and the site of commencements.

The last home football…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2941/archive/files/b0a8d8030a1cf039235bac5592d9d076.jpg
An historic one room school building that was moved to the Eastern Kentucky University Campus.

Tags:

The Gibson building was merged to become a part of The Whailn Complex, named in honor of Ralph W. Whalin who served Eastern from 1937 to 1974 as Professor and Chair or the Department of Industrial Arts. He was the first Faculty Regent. The…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2941/archive/files/e2ebf350ac6e570bf3dee8b63b83e335.jpg
Completed in 1994, the Funderburk Building was named in honor of Eastern's eighth president, Dr. Hanly Funderburk. The 92,000-square-foot building, which is connected to the Stratton Building

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2941/archive/files/96a9946dc89ebdbd06b2ae5f32539b6a.jpg
Built in 1956, the Foster Music building is named for the great composer of "My Old Kentucky Home". It has 19 practice rooms, classrooms, 10 studios, 2 band rooms, a chorus room, and houses the Department of Music. It is the home of the Foster Music…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2941/archive/files/b0f1703693c0a42ad72142beb6e49380.jpg
Named in honor of Ralph W. Whalin who served Eastern from 1937 to 1974 as Professor and Chair or the Department of Industrial Arts. He was the first Faculty Regent. The Fitzpatrick Building , built in 1939, is named for H.D. Fitzpatrick Sr. a…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2